Sunday, November 28, 2010

Experiencing the Culture

This year, after over 20 years of traveling to Africa, I felt led to try something totally different. For 5 hours one Saturday, I sat under the flying fingers of Putsy while she put hundreds of braids into my hair. The time began with Putsy preparing extensions to braid in with my hair. Then, the endurance contest began.

I don’t have a mirror in my room, so I don’t see myself too often. However, when I catch a glimpse in a window, or someone’s mirror, I still take a second look. It feels very strange to have all these braids in my hair. However, it is simple to take care of. The ultimate in wash and go. The braids (if care is taken) can last upto a month. I can honestly say this is probably a once in a lifetime experience. (I took the braids out before arriving home).













Cooking Adventure
We give great credit to our cooks, Sue, Esther, and Putsy who kept us going through the challenging and tiring schedule. These three women spent 3 weeks away from their regular schedules as their "mission". What amazed me was that they cooked three very good meals each day in the conditions you see below. (I promise I'll never say a bad word about my kitchen again!)
I don't think the Canadian Health Inspectors would approve. But... we ate good. Breakfast consisted of white bread with an egg in various forms with tea or coffee. Starch was the name of the game, we had rice, noodles, couscous, broken rice or white sweet potatoes for lunch and dinner each day with a sauce of some variety: sometimes tomato based, sometimes greens (cassava leaves or potato leaves). We feasted with a piece of chicken (leg or thigh) or fish (about 3 inches) each meal. Many of the participants enjoyed the pepper sauce made fresh each day (I stayed away myself).


No comments:

Post a Comment