Monday, May 18, 2009

Presbyterian Connections in Malawi -

Finally I'm back on-line. I arrived back in Bobcaygeon on Thursday May 14th after 3 weeks away. After leaving Johannesburg, internet access was minimal to non-existent (or convenient if available). So, the updates have been few. However, over the next few days, I will be posting updates related to my time in Malawi and Ivory Coast.

On April 22nd Nancy Sue and I left Johannesburg for Blantyre, Malawi. In the Johannesburg airport I saw Dr. Ron Wallace, the Secretary for International Ministries of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. I knew he was headed to Blantyre also, but didn't realize we would see him on the plane! That was my one brief encounter with him on the trip. But praise God for another connection.

Maxwell met Nancy Sue and I at the Blantyre airport. We settled into our room at the Presbyterian Church guest house visited Maxwell's home for lunch. We met some of Maxwell's family, his wife, 4 of his 5 children, 2 of his brothers and a few other relatives that are living with him.

I was able to present Maxwell with his new computer. This will assist him in his literacy work and communications.

That evening, Nancy Sue and I had dinner with Rev. Ed and Jackie Hoekstra and 2 of their 5 children. Ed, Jackie, Jacob and Nico arrived in Blantyre in August 2008. Rev. Hoekstra serves as associate minister with St. Columba Presbyterian Church in Blantyre as a mission partner from Canada. We had a lovely meal and visit with them. We shared with them about the literacy work and how St. Columba church could be involved. Maxwell has met them now, so the network has begun.

I trust that God will be developing more connections with Maxwell, the Hoekstras and the Presbyterian Church in Malawi.

Next posting... Sena Literacy Classes

No comments:

Post a Comment